Happy Anniversary

Someday
   Someone 
       Won’t take you seriously enough 
and it will destroy you

He said
with a familiar prick on his tongue

I watched as the gore slid between his lips 
And spattered on to the picnic table

I listened as he told me about all of the ways
in which I was too brittle
too phony 
to really get anything done

I felt my broad shoulders shrinking 
as he threw jars of pickles
And tore a baguette into indignant fragments

I took note of the way his brow folds 
when he is coughing up eight years of bile

He flung glass jars
I gave stony glares

He bellowed his odious words into polluted air
I hid my spite in flower pots and under salubrious soil
Gently poisoning the garden

Neither of us blameless

And maybe this is how our love ends
I thought
As I stepped away from his rage
Gripping firmly to my own

Maybe this is where we let it rest
Piled up like those fiery, golden leaves
Near the roots of the sturdy tree
Left in a heap
beautiful
And dead

Comments

Popular Posts