The Orchid


This evening you promenaded in
through the back door
with flowers and wine
But I needed something to battle over
So I started with the careless driving
And moved on to the alcoholism

Your voice turned loud and severe
If I seemed alarmed
It is because I am
always stunned by the anger in you
‘Like breakers’, you told us once
Maybe we hoped you were wrong

And I see that damn orchid every morning 
before I reach the kitchen
I have cared for it exactly as I was told to
It wilts anyway
‘It needs more attention’, I say to you
‘No, baby, it’s just too cold here’, you decide
And that is true

I avoid being under your shade
by going down the back stairway
Tip-toeing softly as I hear you
sauntering down the front
I think about pouring my coffee
into your lunch pail
without apologizing

Then taking the cash from my nightstand
packing up books and dresses
into my big van
You-- the children, too
So that we can go where orchids flourish

And you want more sex
but I’d settle for an evening walk 

Comments

Popular Posts