seven



I have sorted over our burdens
Deep into the pit of my skin
up around my meat
under the ribs
to the left a bit
Where my pink heart hammers

Not even a beer so cold and smooth will help you there
It’s where I have decided I will not suffer your sorrows
Those that can be only yours
But I will be gentle with you

I could help you try on some of your old grins
I could teach you funny things to do with your hands and
songs to sing to your baby 
on nights when it is arduous to get a child to rest
I could make us homemade noodles while waiting
for the tea kettle to hiss
We could open a book and start reading
like we’re on a stage

I could march with you to the top of a hill
roll a joint and tell you about the boy named Bright
He liked to have sex on trains
He kept a list
You could tell me about living in Marin
And the one that got away

I could bake pies for you
and bring you a slice on your break
With a thermos of hot coffee
and a tiny brown love note
I could cradle your heaviness between my breasts
stroke your hair in silence

We could be the happy ones
Who says we can't be those?


Comments

Popular Posts